Friday, September 30, 2016

Twitter, or the Mystical Pit of Resource and Snark

I never understood Twitter. The whole concept always seemed completely ridiculous to me: write a 140-character blurb about what's on your mind. As a person who will willingly use twenty words when about four will do the trick, only getting to use about a dozen words blew my mind. It also seemed like a garbage dump of pop culture and philosophical quotes from angsty teens, not necessarily my cup of tea. From the outside, it didn't seem to provide the substance and meaningful connections that I prefer. I made an account my senior year of high school, tweeted one golden tweet...and didn't touch my account again. It seemed pointless. The idea that some educators purposefully use the site with their classes didn't make any sense to me. What could you get from social media that couldn't be learned in person?

Honestly, I had never even considered using any form of social media in the classroom up until the start of this class. I had always thought I would be a traditional English teacher: assigning books to read outside of school and having deep, socratic-style discussions during class time. It's not that I hate technology. I think it's because I survived high school without class-required blogging or online classrooms; consequentially, I make the mistake of assuming that my students will be perfectly fine in learning the same way. But the world in which my future students are growing up in is already vastly different than the one I experienced. Social media has become less of a mindless time-waster and more of a digital extension of the real world: a place to connect with others, exchange views, and share information. It is their world now. The articles we've read over the past couple weeks have really shown me how truly beneficial social media can be, as long as it's used effectively.

Brian Croxall's overviews of social media sites within the classroom in "Reflections on Teaching with Social Media" were very helpful for me. His idea of teaching students "transferable skills" through the use of social media made sense. In the real world, people need to collaborate and interact with others on a variety of platforms, not just through paper and pen or speaking. I quite liked the idea of the "social sixth sense." When students use social media to collaborate and connect, they are not only gaining new and unique insights. They are learning new ways to read people and how to navigate the complex digital environment they live in. As the venture on into the workforce, this will be a vital skill. Croxall's three lessons for educational social media use were so important for me to hear.

  1. Be ready for problems.             
  2. Be conscious of tool fatigue.
  3. In the end, it is worth it.
           *Abbreviated slightly

These forced me to realize two thing. One: it's not going to be perfect; it'll probably never be perfect. But, I shouldn't let it stop me from trying to integrate new media. Two: don't use a tool for the sake of using it. Find something one thing that works and run with it. Too much technology equals a brain overload. Brain overloads are never good.

Twitter seems to be the best place to start in integrating social media into the secondary classroom, at least for me. "Twittering, Not Frittering: Professional Development in 140 Characters" did a really good job outlining how Twitter can actually help my networking and development as a teacher.
Even though the article was clearly from the earliest stages of Twitter, it still helped to provide an solid overview for the site for the newcomers (aka yours truly). As much as I hate the minimal character allowance, the way it forces you to be say exactly what you mean, perfect in a world where conciseness is a desirable skill, helps you to learn to synthesize rather than memorize. Like Suzie Boss mentioned, the customizable feed, not unlike Facebook, means that I can make my feed as professional and as education oriented as I want. The more and more I've used Twitter for this class, the more I've come to appreciate the resources it provides me all the time (The fact that I found an algorithm that analyzes the rhyming structure of Hamilton doesn't hurt). Thanks to "19 Educational Twitter Chats Worth Your Time", I've been able to track several different hashtags, including #edchat, #CatholicEdChat, #engchat, and #mschat, all of which tie into the kind of education professional I want to be. No longer are educators limited to the views of their school, their district, or their region. Twitter gives me access to see what educators do differently on opposite ends of the globe. It helps connect me the the larger world. With the growing globally community, globally-connected teachers are required. Twitter helps me to be that teacher.

I now want to try to incorporate Twitter into my classroom structure in some way. While it's not feasible in a high school setting to have students posting on Twitter every day, the ability to connect with and exchange ideas with multiples students at once is almost unbelievable. After taking in Croxall's observations in his own classes, I think it would take a little finagling to find that perfect place where students are tweeting because they have something meaningful to share, not because their grade requires it.

My dream Twitter classroom would have to mimic what Mark Sample blogged about in "Twitter is a Snark Valve." Yes, his students did learn to engage critically with each other, allowing their classroom conversations to extend further. Those "Hey, look at this!" posts show that students are absorbing and retaining what they learned. I want that kind of engagement in my own class, where they are genuinely eager to find out more. But, even more than that, I want the snark. It seems contrary to everything a teacher might want. If you think about it, though, we talk so much about the importance of relationships, and allowing students to feel safe and open in their environment. All that sarcasm, joking, and fooling around means they trust you. If students trust you, they're more likely to tell you what they really think about something. Sample mentioned that this snark allows students to take "an oppositional stance." Isn't that the dream for all educators, that students are dissecting a topic in such a way that they form their own unique opinions on it? Twitter offers the ability to hear what is typically unheard. Who knows what insightful ideas might be gained and what long and unexplored paths they may lead us down because of one snarky tweet. Even in a high school setting, this would be so beneficial–allowing and encouraging that "uncensored, no-holds-barred opining" [sic] that can lead to lightbulb moments in education.

I was going to touch on so much more in this blog post, mainly the idea of a flipped ELA classroom and utilizing GoogleDocs/GoogleClassroom, but this is already long enough as is. Perhaps an extra post might be in order? Despite all of that, I am starting to appreciate my forced entry into the Twittosphere (Twitosphere? Twittersphere? Tweetosphere?) and the resources it has already provided me in my short amount of (active) time of the site. It's only up from here, I suppose. I just hope that Twitter is still relevant by the time I have my own classroom, so that I can share this medium with my students. I can only imagine what they'll discover then!

10 comments:

  1. I just got done talking a bit about Twitter on Rachel's blog post for this week. I think we are all on the same wave length in terms of initially feeling weird about it. I understand the concept behind it, but I am still struggling with finding a way to use it practically. I just have a difficult time buying into it as a tool for regular communication in the high school classroom. I think it has its place in long distance communication, but while students are visiting your classroom every day, it just don't seem as practical.

    I believe tools such as blogs and google classroom can be used to engage students a little more thoroughly. I would love to have a classroom where students are interacting in a similar way to what we are doing right here. For one, as an English teacher, I want like the idea of students practicing their writing and having the opportunity to read their peers' writing as well. I find it difficult to follow conversation and dialogue on Twitter, and think there are better ways to engage with ideas. These blogs are one of the better ways to do this.

    I will surely keep an open mind, though. I want to see how Twitter can be used as an effective classroom tool. I like it as a tool for colleagues to share information. I think for our class setting, we can see the greater purpose of using it. I like perusing the articles that people post. I think it's a great sharing tool. But the question is how to you make that a structured part of your teaching and even if you accomplish that, how do you make it benefit your students?

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciated your open mind about the use of Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you. Especially in a high school setting, I think Twitter is best for intermittent activities rather than a constant or daily requirement. A constant stream would be ideal, but I think I'd have a tough time getting students to post Tweets of substance, rather than just fillers to meet the course requirement. I know Maddie thought of a simple point system in her blog, but I'm not sure if I could make it work to encourage deep conversation just yet. Like you, I find extending the conversation on Twitter to be very difficult. If I would want to use it in my classroom, I suppose it's a hoop I'd have to jump through. I have some really cool visions for Twitter, but whether they'll be feasible or not is something I'll have to find out.
      I'm glad you mentioned blogs, because that's something I've thought of using, actually. What I really like is how I can make the student blogs as public or as private as I want them to be. Kind of like physical journals, they could be a great source and documentation of informal thought processes, which I really like.

      Delete
  2. To kind of add to this, I think Twitter could be used as a really effective classroom tool, but when does it become too much? Or when does it become a distraction? Kids weren't looking ahead or behind them in textbooks so while Twitter and other technology will definitely make things more interesting, there's definitely the chance that kids could get off topic more.

    Twitter as a snark valve is a real thing. No longer would kids be writing bad words or doing crude drawings in the back of textbooks. They could, however, be doing similar things on Twitter.

    In the grand scheme of things, Twitter is a brand new thing. Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram are brand new as well. I think it will be interesting to see how teachers use this to their advantage in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very good point. That fine line between useful mode of communication and classroom distraction is very relevant, especially in a secondary education classroom. If I were to use it daily, I would probably have to lay out some quite strict guidelines for students and possibly have "No Twitter Zones" during some parts of a lesson. It might be easier to start out using it only during certain classes in order to gauge its usefulness. I'm also interested to see how all these types of social media develop over time. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Great post Amber. It was especially nice to read this because I felt that I shared a lot of similar thought processes with you. I never thought that I would be a huge fan of technology(especially social media) in the classroom, but the more I read on it, the more my opinion begins to sway.
    I think you did a nice job highlighting some of the most important aspects of these articles. For example, recognizing Twitter as a resource for teachers, and not just students, is a really important lesson here. Also, and I think you eluded to this, but Twitter is a really great resource as an exercise in itself. It forces students to boil down their ideas to their base components and get their point across in the most articulate form possible. This helps us identify and define the ideas we have, and really understand them on their purest level. Twitter is a cool exercise for writers, even, if looked at in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad this class forced me to explore Twitter as a professional development tool. Already, I've found some pretty interesting tools and articles that have informed how I've taught some of my practicum lessons.
      Yes, the boilerplate summary element of Twitter is something I think all students could benefit from, even if they don't use the Twitter network specifically. It could be easily accomplished using a pencil and a paper printout of a Tweet. I'm glad you mentioned that. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. First of all, i would have to agree with you on twitter. I never understood it either. But i loved it. It was my favorite social media site. I totally understand why you feel the way you do about twitter, it can tend to be stressful at times. Especially when you have something longer to say besides the 140 characters they allow.

    I as well never thought i would use technology, such as twitter. Reading about technology and such seems like it would get a student more involved. It seems like it would help there learning process cause technology is all they think about through out the day. Throwing technology/social media into the mix would really get a student to engage in there work. I will definitely consider using tweeting and technology in general when i begin teaching. As much as i truly felt opposed to it.

    I feel like you and i can relate so much to how we felt, then taking this class and reading these articles to how we feel now! How much different we see technology/social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter's small character count gets me too sometimes. I'm a wordy person, so it's sometimes hard to pack everything I want to say into such a small box It's good practice for me, as well as my students, I suppose. Technology is here to stay, so it's important that we at least introduce students to the all the different ways they may encounter it in the real world. Social media, despite how I used it even a few years ago, is no longer just a place to socialize. It's a place to be informed, to debate, and to share; it allows you to connect with the entire world, a perfect way to collaborate with the global community. The modern world is all about engaging, so if I can get over my fears and hesitations about technology in the classroom, my students will reap the benefits.

      Delete
  5. I had many similar feelings about twitter. To be completely honest, it still intimidates me. "Twitter is a Snark Valve" inspired me to want to open myself up to the things I'm scarred of- letting my students run wild on twitter while I curiously watch, trying to find the productiveness out of all of it. Putting kids into a space where they are comfortable is a great way to open them up, however adolescents' comfort ability has a wide range. Having experienced high school while Twitter was taking off, I know the drama that can unfold on social media and how that bleeds into the school environment. My biggest fear is not being able to successfully blend the comfort ability of twitter with academia appropriateness. However, I agree that it is 100% worth it to conquer your own fears and hesitations if your students benefit from the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I side with your fear that the social aspect might bleed into the education value of the site itself. However, such a possibility might be a good opportunity to teach students how to navigate social media and the different worlds that collide in such a space. Even though there are these dangers, we can't shelter our students. They're going to encounter these issues at some point in their lives, whether inside or outside of our classrooms. We've just gotta go for it, I suppose!

      Delete